The Garrett Pro Pointer AT also referred to as the “Garrett Carrot” is an upgraded version of the popular Garrett Pro Pointer and is Garrett’s most advanced pinpointer to date.
The Garrett Pro Pointer AT (All-Terrain) is completely waterproof up to 10 feet and also boasts an added bonus of having a few extra features built into it that will help give you an even bigger advantage out in the field.
The pro pointer AT is quickly becoming one of the most popular best selling pinpointers on the market today because of its advanced features, ease of use and its sheer versatility out in the field.
Take a look at what sets the Garrett Pro Pointer AT apart from all of the others out there with this detailed review of the newest most advanced pinpointer from Garrett.
Garrett Pro Pointer AT Overview
Model: Pro Pointer AT
Weight: 6.5 OZ
MSRP: $149.95 USD
Garrett Pro Pointer Quick Links
Garrett Pro Pointer AT Components/Functions
– On/Off Switch: The on/off button on the Garrett AT Pro Pointer is not only for powering the pinpointer on and off but also controls the retuning, stealth mode and sensitivity of the pinpointer. (see how to use these in this section – How to use the Pro Pointer AT)
– LED Light: The Pro Pointer AT LED turns on when the unit is turned on. It provides a bright light when digging at night or in a darkened or low lit area.
– Scraping Blade: A rugged durable edge used for scraping and pushing dirt aside when looking for your target. With the Pro Pointer AT’s improved 360 detection field you will be instantly alerted should this blade be in contact with or near your target.
– Audio and Vibrating Alarms: The speaker on the side of the Pro Pointer AT is waterproof and gives you alerts via “beeps” and the internal vibrations motor will give you vibration alerts. With it’s patented proportional audio/vibration alert as the target becomes closer the vibration and beeping becomes faster. This will let you know when you are getting closer to the target.
– Low Battery Indication Alarm: The battery strength is constantly monitored by the Garrett Pro Pointer AT. When the batteries are no longer able to run the Pro Pointer AT effectively and accurately it alerts you with a intermittent double beep. This ensures that your Pro Pointer AT is always working at its best.
Lanyard Loop – A loop that allows you to attach the Garrett Pro Pointer At to your belt, detector or finds pouch via a lanyard or string.
How to Use Garrett Pro Pointer AT
The Garrett Pro Pointer AT is extremely easy to use and is outlined below:
Target Retrieval Instructions
Step 1 – Unscrew battery cover on the end of the pinpointer and insert 9v battery that comes with the Pro Pointer AT.
Step 2 – Keeping the tip of the Pro Pointer away from any metal or electrical equipment press the on/off button. You will hear 2 short consecutive beeps to let you know the Pro Pointer AT is on.
Step 3 – begin by scanning the dirt plug that you have just pulled from the ground. Run the tip edge of the pinpointer tip along the outside edges of the dirt plug. If the target is inside, the Pro Pointer AT will alert you.
Step 4 – If you do not receive any alerts place the plug aside and insert the tip of the Pro Pointer into the hole. Starting from the top of the hole run the tip/edge of the pinpointer along the inside wall of the hole working your way down in a spiral like fashion until you are alerted. If you are alerted continue moving in that direction until the Pro Pointer is beeping and vibrating very quickly. Retrieve your Target.
Step 5 – Once you have recovered your target, press and hold the on/off button for half a second and you will hear a beep. The LED will turn off indicating that the Garrett Pro Pointer AT is now off. Replace in holster and continue on to your next target.
Changing the Settings
The Garrett AT Pro Pointer comes with 3 sensitivity settings and two alert modes these include:
– Vibration + Audio Alert
– Vibration only (silent mode)
These can be easily changed from just the on/off button on the Pro Pointer AT
Step 1: Press and hold the on/off button for 2 seconds. You will receive a beep and then a double beep indicating you’re now in adjustment mode.
Step 2: Press the On/Off button once to cycle to the next mode, continue to do this until you have reached the mode you want.
Step 3: Once desired mode is selected press and hold the On/Off button for 2 seconds. You will be alerted again by a dual tone beep (or dual vibration in silent mode)
Step 4: Continue on with using your Pro Pointer AT as normal.
While in adjustment mode you will have 6 cycle options to choose from (STEP2 above) they include:
- 1 beep = minimum Sensitivity, with audio
- 2 beeps = medium Sensitivity, with audio (Default setting)
- 3 beeps = maximum Sensitivity, with audio
- 1 vibrate = minimum Sensitivity/Silent
- 2 vibrate = medium Sensitivity/Silent
- 3 vibrate = maximum Sensitivity/Silent
Garrett Pro Pointer AT Videos
Garrett Pro Pointer AT Instructional Video.
This video put out by Garrett shows you how to use your new Garrett Pro Pointer AT. This video goes through all of the features of the Pro Pointer AT, and shows this pinpointer in action out in the field.
Metal Detecting Hack: How To Pinpoint With A Garrett Pro Pointer
This is a great video that shows you the benefits and power of re-tuning(ground balancing) your Garrett Pro Pointer AT when retrieving at target from a hole. This video will show you how to properly do this so you can more safely extract your target without damaging it with your digging tool.
First Hunt with Pro-Pointer AT
This is a video released by Garrett and shows the Pro Pointer AT in use by their team out in the field.
Garrett Pro Pointer AT Tips and Tricks
– If you are receiving multiple alerts from your Garrett Pro Pointer AT when scanning the hole, use the quick re-tune to ground balance the pinpointer to hone in closer on the actual target.
– It is important to ensure when you change the battery, or open the battery cap that you place some silicone lubricant on the o-ring. This will keep the o-ring from drying out and cracking, letting water in.
– Turning off the Garrett Pro Pointer AT after every find will allow for best results when you go to use it on the next find.
– Don’t use your Pro Pointer AT as a digging tool or to pry on something in the ground. While you can scrape the sides of the hole with the blade, using the kind of force needed for digging or prying will result in damage to the pinpointer.
– The Pro Pointer AT is a bit loud and can be a bother depending on where you are hunting. Simply covering the speaker with tape will help to reduce the loudness of the alerts, whilst still allowing you to hear it in close proximity.
– Pay attention if you decide to do some diving with this pin pointer. Ensure you do not go over 10ft down.
– Clean the battery cap area regularly. If dirt works its way in between the cap and the pinpointer body it could cause leaks.
The Garrett Pro Pointer AT is one of the most popular and highly recommended pinpointers on the market today and rightfully so.
The Garrett Pro Pointer AT (Garrett Carrot) is an extremely well built, accurate and easy to use pinpointer that will help any detectorist increase the overall productivity of their metal detecting hunts.
If you are looking for a great pinpointer that will help you recover targets faster, not limit where you can hunt and will not disappoint you the Garrett Pro Pointer AT is the pinpointer for you.