The Garrett Pro Pointer is an electronic pinpointer with a 360 degree field of detection.
The Garrett Pro Pointer offers an easy and effective way to quickly find and recover the target you’re after.
The pro pointer is one of the best selling electronic pinpointers among metal detecting enthusiasts and experienced detectorists because of its depth capability and its ability to quickly and accurately pinpoint targets.
Aside from its great depth and pinpointing accuracy the Garrett Pro Pointer also features an LED light for low light areas or detecting at night and proportional alerts.
The proportional alerts on the pro pointer consist of both vibration and audio which vibrate and beep faster the closer you are to the target.
With the overall quality, durability and effectiveness of the Garrett Pro Pointer it is no wonder why it is such a popular and highly rated pinpointer within the metal detecting hobby.
Garrett Pro Pointer Overview
Model: Pro Pointer
Weight: 6.5 OZ
MSRP: $129.95 USD
Garrett Pro Pointer Quick Links
Garrett Pro Pointer Components/Functions
– On/Off Switch: Holding the pinpointer away from any metallic objects, push the button in once to turn the Garrett Pro Pointer on. You should hear 2 successive beeps when the unit turns on.
To turn off the Pro Pointer
– LED Light: The Pro Pointer LED turns on when the unit is turned on. It provides a bright light when digging at night or in a darkened or low lit area.
– Scraping Blade: A rugged durable edge used for scraping and pushing dirt aside when looking for your target. With the Pro Pointer’s 360 detection field you will be instantly alerted should this blade be in contact with or near your target.
– Audio and Vibrating Alarms: The speaker on the side of the Pro Pointer gives you audible alerts(beeping) and the internal vibrations motor will give you vibration alerts. As the target becomes closer the vibrations and beeping becomes faster. This will let you know when you are getting closer to the target.
– Low Battery Indication Alarm: The battery strength is constantly monitored by the Garrett Pro Pointer. When the battery is low enough to affect the accuracy and effectiveness of the pinpointer it will alert you with a two tone audio alert.
How to use Garrett Pro Pointer
The Garrett Pro Pointer is extremely easy to use and is outlined below:
Step 1 – Unscrew battery cover on the end of the pinpointer and insert 9v battery that comes with the Pro Pointer.
Step 2 – Keeping the tip of the Pro Pointer away from any metal or electrical equipment press the on/off button. You will hear 2 short consecutive beeps to let you know the Pro Pointer is on.
Step 3 – Start with scanning the dirt plug that you have just dug by running the tip of the pinpointer along the outside edges of the dirt plug. If the target is inside, the Pro Pointer will alert you.
Step 4 – If you do not receive any alerts place the plug aside and insert the tip of the Pro Pointer into the hole. Starting from the top of the hole run the tip/edge of the pinpointer along the inside wall of the hole working your way down until you are alerted. If you are alerted continue moving in that direction until the Pro Pointer is beeping and vibrating very quickly. Retrieve your Target.
Step 5 – Press the on/off button and you will hear a beep. The LED will turn off indicating that the Garrett Pro Pointer is now off. Replace in holster and continue on to your next target.
Garrett AT Pro Videos
Pinpointing Tips with the Garrett Pro Pointer.
This video put out by Garrett shows you how to re-tune your Pro Pointer. This will help you to better pinpoint smaller items or will help determine if the target is bigger and deeper than expected.
Garrett Pro-Pointer Depth Test
This is a video demonstrating the potential depth of the Garrett Pro Pointer on certain targets. Keep in mind that air tests like shown in this video only give you a rough estimate of the detection range. Depth with targets in the ground will vary depending on mineralization, how the target is seated, multiple targets in same hole etc.
Garrett Pro Pointer Tips and Tricks
– Don’t push too hard on the tip of the Pro Pointer or it could cause falsing. This will fool you into thinking there is a target there when indeed there isn’t
– When looking for a target that is out of the hole instead of the tip use the sides of the Pro Pointer to rustle through the loose dirt.
– Sometimes the Battery on the inside is a bit loose for whatever reason, this can cause erratic behavior in the detection ability of the Pro Pointer. Use a piece of foam or folded paper to push the battery tightly against the terminal prongs.
– When not using the Pro Pointer for a longer period of time, remember to take the battery out so that it does not leak.
– Consider putting a small string or fishing line through the lanyard hole when metal detecting. Sometimes in the excitement of finding a great target, you can forget that you placed the Pro Pointer on the ground and you could end up losing it for good. Having it attached to your utility belt or detector will help to keep the Pro Pointer from getting lost.
– The Pro Pointer is a bit loud and can be a bother depending on where you are hunting. Simply wrapping some electrical tape or duct tape around the speaker will greatly help to reduce the volume of the beeping.
The Garrett Pro Pointer is an incredibly handy tool that belongs in every metal detectorists arsenal of equipment. With the durability, accuracy and ease of use the Pro Pointer will save you a ton of digging and wasted time looking for your target.
Make your next metal detecting hunt more productive and enjoyable with the Garrett Pro Pointer. You’ll be glad you did.